Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

How Long Could It Last?

February 13, 2008

Often I field the question, "How is Erin doing?" Answering requires some decoding. Does the inquirer mean "How's the cancer?" or are they more interested in her day-to-day health, "Has she avoided the crud that's going around? Does she feel fit and energetic?" or are they just making conversation?

Most times I go with, "She's still stable and currently feeling quite well. Thank you for asking." This year, in particular, with various flu bugs rampant and a lot of other niggling illnesses passing from person to person, people are usually surprised by my answer. They comment how unlikely it is that she hasn't succumbed to the flu that has ripped through our area, laying low even those who took their flu shots last fall.

Yesterday, when Erin came home from school complaining of a sore throat, headache, and general droopiness, I thought the jig was up. Nico and Adam had both missed school with the flu, that according to Elaine came with sore throat, headache, body aches, and a fever. I called the pediatrician's office, who told me that the doctor had left for the day, but he could see Erin this morning at 10:00. I said okay, and crossed my fingers that we'd still be on the early side getting Tamiflu into her system to speed her recovery. I thought to myself, "Well, I knew avoiding the flu wouldn't last forever."

This morning, Erin didn't seem any better, and I was waiting for the fever to pop. I drug Erin to the doctor with a promise of no pokes for blood counts. When Dr. Parr walked into the exam room, he noted the "sitting on mom's lap" symptom, the "curled up like a ball" symptom, and the "thumb near the mouth" symptom. Three for three on the doc's quick inspection of whether a child is actually sick or not. However, after an exam, he decided that Erin's sore throat was one sided, probably indicating sinus drainage, and that she seemed more like a kid with a bacterial infection than the flu. We left with a prescription for Cefanex rather than Tamiflu, and I answered my own question of "How long can it last?". . . "a bit longer."

As long as we are on the question how long can it last, I want to mention that today is the twenty-fifth anniversary of Walter's and my first date. He made a very romantic evening of it, lo those many years ago, and stole my heart. I have always thought that celebrating Valentine's on the 13th rather than the 14th was a blessing because it allowed us to give a little jab back at the greeting card industry (independently celebrating our true love, without having to do it on the actual date they picked, but still being able to take advantage of a plentiful supply of readily available chocolate). After children, it was also a lot easier to find a baby sitter for the 13th than the 14th. Only later, when practicality almost trumped romance, did I think maybe he should have waited until the 15th, so we could get our cards and goodies at reduced-price, after-holiday sales.

Anyway, I'll tell you how long it could last. Walter and I agreed to an (implicit) sixty-four year contract when we married. We promised to stick together for the first sixty-four years before we did any renegotiations. We're not even half way yet, and although we have faced things as a couple that we never expected (think of the last five-and-a half years if I've stumped you on this one), we are more committed today than we were on our wedding day, and I am thankful every day that neither of us has to walk alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment