Pages

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Bush Will Sign!

July 29, 2008

I didn't update Erin's page when the U.S. Senate passed the Conquer Childhood Cancer Act by unanimous consent about a week and a half ago (in the middle of our Pittsburgh vacation), and I should have. This was a monumental event, made possible by thousands of people involving themselves in the political process (some for the first time ever!). Anyway, I received word this morning that President Bush will sign the bill into law this morning at 9:55 Bryan time. Please pause and give yourself a pat on the back for all the emails, cards, letters, and prayers you sent that pushed this through. This is a tribute to the process, and I'm proud to be an American where the government can be responsive to the citizenry.

When I went into the bedroom to see Erin's reaction to this news, she didn't get up to dance a jig. When I asked why she was just sitting there and what she was concentrating so intently on, she told me she was setting her watch for 9:55, so she would know exactly when the bill became law! She wasn't going to celebrate until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment