Pages

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Fall

June 18, 2011


I've loved Ella Fitzgerald for a long time, but my love solidified in 1977 with a New Yorker cartoon that had two guys looking at a bird in a birdcage.  The bird was dressed up in a long evening gown and had a trademark Ella Fitzgerald wig.  The caption read:  "Funny, she doesn't sound that much like Ella Fitzgerald to me."


Walter and I are going to an out-of-town concert in a few minutes (not Ella), with the added bonus:  the date extends overnight in a king-suite at an out-of-town hotel.  So, in honor of Ella, in honor of Erin, and in honor of falling in love (still), sing along with me:

1 comment:

  1. I always think of Ella as "Ellafitz," because of an answer one of my sister's students gave years ago on a test in her humanities class.

    Q: Who is your favorite jazz performer?
    A: Ellafitz Gerald. =)

    ReplyDelete