Pages

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Graduation

April 17, 2008

My first thought, when Erin handed me the color brochure explaining how I could have a beautiful photographic record of my graduate (including, at no extra charge: cap, gown, fake diploma roll, and, of course beaming smile) was how to avoid offending Erin as I said "No, I would never pay any amount of money to buy a studio-quality photo set in a memory book of a 5th grade graduation. You don't "graduate" from 5th grade. You get promoted to sixth and get on with your education. This is not an educational triumph. It is not your moment in the sun. We are not heaving a sigh of relief that you made it through elementary school." But now, the brochure is lying on my kitchen counter, not thrown away. Why? Because of the hidden message in the last sentence of my thought.

Erin is an exceptional student. She has always, and I suspect will always, make outstanding grades. Meeting graduation requirements won't ever be in question. Yet with the uncertainty of relapsed neuroblastoma and the accompanying gruesome survival statistics, graduation is never guaranteed. So, now I have to argue with myself. Do I act like a parent who does not want to be ripped off by a marketing program centered squarely on sentimentality and guilt, or do I act like a cancer parent who has no idea if Erin will ever cross another stage? Aaargh. I hate that choice.

P.S. The Conquer Childhood Cancer Act now has 217 (218 needed for a majority vote) co-sponsors in the House and 58 (60 needed to bust cloture) co-sponsors in the Senate.

P.S.S. I talked to Gina Cortez yesterday and if everything goes well, she will open Gina's Mexican Restaurant late next week. Stayed tuned.

P.S.S.S. One more thing that makes you say "hmmm." Seeing a well-dressed man walking down Dodge Street carrying a hula hoop and a bottle of beer.

1 comment:

  1. Your third post script made me crack up and I don't even know Dodge street!

    It's all great news - we're soo close.

    Lara W
    mom of Hans

    ReplyDelete