Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thank and Cry

July 16, 2009

I cleaned my desk and filed bills today (the stack was not insubstantial). I came across the order form for Erin's spring school pics (another ball that got dropped at the time). As usual, Erin looked good in the photo, so I decided to suck it up and pay the $15.00 late fee to place an order. I went to the website, registered, and tried to place an order. I couldn't figure out a particular code I needed to enter, so after three failed tries, I picked up the phone to get a little tech support.

I explained to the phone rep what I needed and why I was so late. My eyes teared up a little when I mentioned that Erin had "passed away" and had missed the deadline. No big deal. I swallowed the lump in my throat and went on to give the woman Erin's name and school and the other information she needed to place the order. She put me on hold to check on something. When she came back, she began by saying, "It's our company's policy in cases like yours. . ." and I thought uh-oh, I'm too late. She continued, "to create a special, complimentary package of photos of various sizes, our largest package. We'll hand deliver them to your house tomorrow."

This is a national company, not some local photographer with a passion for Erin.

It is always sincere expression of kindness, generosity, and unconditional love that have the greatest emotional impact on me. I managed to thank the woman from LifeTouch and hang up the phone before I had a good, short cry.

I really needed to find a good person/company today to counteract the hostile, unhelpful phone jockey and his supervisor that I encountered when trying UNSUCCESSFULLY to unravel some major problems that I had with Visa gift cards I gave for graduation gifts.

NEVER buy Gift2Go cards. EVER.

10 comments:

  1. What a great remembrance and I would have done the same! It is okay to have short or long good cries!
    Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great company - please would you post one of the photos on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray for that company! I'm sure the good Karma will come back their way. Would love to see the pictures of beautiful Erin when you get them.
    Margot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vickie...
    I have the same crazy feelings at times when I'm all at odds with the world and then someone does a kind thing to remind me of the humanity all around us. I'm glad you had one of those moments today. And I will never buy one of the Gift2go cards - ever.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a touching story. It brought tears to my eyes. Many, many, many hugs to you Vickie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vickie,

    I am so very glad that you will get a nice package of Erin's pictures and so glad that some gentle kindness came your way. I would love to see one of the pictures posted on the website.

    Thank you again for holding the lanyard workshops. The girls have told me that they enjoy having a creative outlet and also feel a special connection to Erin when they are there. They also are glad to get to contribute to such a wonderful cause and like to hear about far-off places their creations end up!

    I hope your vacation is a safe, pleasant, and healing one.


    Love,

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Vickie and Walter -
    Hope you are wrapping things up on the home front and are about to go have a fun vacation.
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful surprise. It is so encouraging that there is still a company with a "policy" of kindness and compassion.
    May your trip be safe and the time away - healing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice, what a great thing to do. Such a small gesture that can mean so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just catching up on your postings and that gave me a little cry myself. Some of those small things are the ones that have meant the most. It made me reflect on some of our wonderful encounters during Carlie's battle and hereafter.

    Thinking of you and your family,
    Charon Edgington

    ReplyDelete