Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Not What I Expected

May 14, 2008

When I went to bed last night, I had calmed myself considerably. I accepted that Erin's news, though unwanted, was not unexpected. Parents in relapsed NB-land have a talent for living their life while waiting for the other shoe to fall. We didn't have a concrete plan yet, but I reminded myself that we had more options to choose from than we did three years ago when Erin relapsed. I knew I would sleep well. A restless night on Monday, followed by a long and psychologically draining day at clinic, rush hour drive time, and those three glasses of wine almost guaranteed it.

Sleep came quickly and lasted until 2:14, when Erin's hand gentled me from my dreams with the news that she didn't feel well. I figured back pain had waked her and that she needed a massage and some cuddling. I had it partially right. Her back did hurt, but it didn't take me long to adjust my perspective. What convinced me? the vomit. Erin spent most of the next eight hours cycling between the sofa, the toilet, and Walter's big green chair (normally green, not stained green). We've had such an easy go the past few years that it took until sunrise to remember that I had a cache of zofran (the miracle anti-puke) drug stashed away for just such occasions. She managed to hold the second one I gave her down long enough for it to do the trick. An hour later she kept a tylenol down and an hour after that her celebrex. With the barfies and the back pain under control, she caught a nap around noon and woke a refreshed woman. A quick call to her nurse, Beverly, at UPA confirmed that this virus was a come-and-go type and that she was most likely "done" with it by mid afternoon. Whew!

The whole experience was surreal. . .sort of a realistic preview of any heavy chemo option that we might choose. If we need to follow that routine we will, but I think we lean towards finding a path more similar to the one we've followed so far: minimize the amount of time away from school (Erin's first priority) and maximize the amount of time she feels well (Erin's fourth priority). For the record, when we asked her, she said her second priority was for it not to be too much of a burden (her words). I asked her whether she meant a burden to us or to her, and she said to her, but that she didn't want it to be a burden to us either. How could I dare tell her that I wouldn't consider it a burden to cut off my right arm and drink the blood if it would cure her?

Since Erin didn't go to school, I stuck pretty close to her side, venturing away, whenever I could to check the e-mail and see if Dr. Russell had started answering the questions I had barraged her with last night and early this morning. You're probably a whole lot more disciplined that I am, but I can tell you that checking mail every seventeen seconds does not make it arrive any faster. In fact, it wasn't until around 2:00 when Tracy Ash called to check on us, that I learned that Wednesdays are Dr. Russell's day off. Well, it's not what I expected, but it's a more palatable explanation than any of the other dozens of others that I had considered to explain why she wasn't responding.

11 comments:

  1. Hello Buengers,
    I've been occasionally reading your blogs (including Davis') since Davis introduced the website to me. I'm sorry to hear Erin's NB relapsed and though there's not much I can do, I'll pray for her and your family.
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well....definitely the news we wanted to hear. Let's keep praying and then wait to hear Dr. Russell's plan. She's done it before....
    Hugs to all the Buengers,as always! And Erin, would you please give Mom a huge one for me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well....definitely NOT the news we wanted to hear! Let's keep praying and then wait to hear Dr. Russell's plan. She's done it before....
    Hugs to all the Buengers,as always! And Erin, would you please give Mom a huge one for me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, Vickie, Walter and Davis-

    I am so sorry to hear that Erin's scans showed progression and that I was not there to be the buffer between the waiting and Dr Russell. Please keep me in the loop so to speak if you wouldn't mind. I miss you all and will be looking for a great knock-knock joke for you Erin.

    Love
    Shari
    shari@feinberg.org

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin- I'm so sorry you had such a rough night last night (you, too, mom!). I hope you girls get some good solid rest tonight. Walter and Davis, too ... don't mean to leave the guys out.
    Matthew, Jack and I will ask God in our prayers for special courage and strength for your family, and guidance and wisdom for Dr. Russell. -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin and family,
    We are praying for you in Pittsburgh! I hope you are feeling better from the stomach bug!!
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  7. I check the blog every day, and though I have always known this was a possibility, my heart fell when I read it. Please give Erin my love, and tell her how much I miss her. I am praying for her, as is my Mom's group. I would love to see all of you sometime soon!

    Love,
    Jennifer Steen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very sorry to read of the tumor progression. Erin is in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi guys - I keep coming back to your page to look for comments and news... I hope you are formulating a great plan. And, I also want to thank you for the very cool Elk whistle. Hans did enjoy it when he was in a better mood. I just realized - if you didn't mean for us to keep it, we can get it back to ya! Hope Erin starts feeling better soon.
    Lara, Hans and family...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Vickie, praying for crystal clear path laden with hope. I am so sorry about the news and the sickness since...Erin is such a walking miracle. Surely Dr Russell will have a good plan soon....

    Praying always,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your family will be in our prayers and a letter to Senator Hutchinson is on the way. Senator Hutchinson does not know the real facts or she would support this bill.

    ReplyDelete