Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Process (Slowly)

April 4, 2011

I started the day not firing on all cylinders.  Perhaps I was emotionally exhausted from watching the Lady Aggies come-from-behind, final-seconds victory over Stanford in the Women's NCAA semifinal basketball match up last night.  Maybe I should blame Teddy, who commuted around the bed continually during the night as she got too hot then too cold then too hot again.  I also dreamed vividly about Walter and I getting married last night (not a re-play of the original, but instead a new wedding ceremony being held at Kyle Field). 

 
I spent much of my dream running up and down the ramps to the various decks, visiting with friend and making sure they found their way to their seats.  I was also having a hard time finding where I left my gown.  Luckily, I discovered it all laid out for me in one of the women's bathrooms under the west side lower deck.  I had multiple styles of each item of clothing to choose from, each hanging from one of the stall doors.  I quickly picked bikini underwear (TMI?), but couldn't decide on which gloves or hat to wear.  I also couldn't remember whether I had my hair and makeup done before I arrived at the stadium, and there were zero mirrors anywhere for me to check my look.

You can imagine how sluggish I was when I popped up to walk the dogs this morning.  I actually felt like I sleep walked my way around the lake.  A shower left me feeling soggy groggy.

I thought I felt livelier by the time I left the house for the ten minute drive to work, but clearly I was still processing at subspeed.

As I slowed to make a left turn, I glanced into my rearview mirror and noted the car behind me following a tad too closely.  I also noticed a pert, youngish woman driving the car and that the car had vanity plates.  I usually appreciate vanity plates and try to make a connection between the message and the driver.

Admittedly, I was reading the letters backwards in my mirror, but I was puzzled by the disconnect between the driver and BL INKR. 

"Inkr, inkr, inkr," I thought, "Does that mean tattoos?  Does the woman I see really get into tats so much that she bangs out the bucks for a custom license plate?  And if she does love tattoos that much (and given the non-black color of her car), wouldn't she prefer color rather than black?"

"Oh," I tell myself, "I got it wrong.  She's really a banker or accountant, who prefers black ink over red.  I must really be processing slowly this morning to have missed the obvious, particularly consiering my profession and the fact that I'm approaching the business school building."

I started my left turn, and she passed by on my right, so that I could see her license plate once more, this time forward rather than backwards:  BLINKR.

"????"

And so I just accepted my brain was still on impulse drive while the world moved on at warp speed.

4 comments:

  1. okay, glad that it was YOU who were marrying Walter again. i hate mornings like the one you described.. i've had many mornings like that. coffee? these days i take add drugs, which helps.

    btw, BLINKR? blinker? she blinks a lot? huh? sorry, even on add drugs i don't get it. is that a texan thing? y'all do have your own little world down there (much like UT is, truly, a world of it's own within this country of ours) it certainly isn't a southern (being southeast) thing.

    :)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guess the vanity plate represents her frustration of those not using their blinkers. Maybe the car and vanity plates represent her settlement after a law suit.

    More importantly, is the wedding. Happy to hear that you'd marry Walter all over again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha lol. I still don't get it. :) Days like that are always kind of funny... I have some times where I just feel like my brain is refusing to process the simplest things! "Blonde moment days," as my friend calls it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I'm thinking either "BLINKR" is an eye doctor - or maybe one of Santa's reindeer. Wasn't there a Blinker in there somewhere??

    ReplyDelete