Pages

Friday, September 21, 2007

Not A Medical Update

September 21, 2007

Have you noticed that I haven't posted a health-watch update or any blood count numbers since the first week of school? I'm not derelict, only excused from clinic. I guess Erin's docs are so used to her having relapsed cancer that they don't want/need to keep close tabs on her. I think the instructions went something like this: We don't need to see her or have labs checked for the next month. If you think she's picked up a bug or something, you can have labs done if you want. Otherwise, bring her in for an office visit after you finish up with scans on October 2.

I don't know how I feel about that.

On the one hand, the free pass on check ups fits into Erin's schedule really well! On the other hand, it leaves me as the one on point. As Erin blithely sails through her daily life, I have to monitor sniffling and coughs: Is twice in an hour enough to cause her white blood count to trend downward? Should we go to the germ-a-rama (insert your favorite retail alternative here) today or stay home? Do I need to insist that her friends follow code red, code orange, or code yellow level sanitation procedures?

When her doctors required weekly counts, I could always extrapolate trends before I decided whether to take a risk or not. Now I just guess. So far, so good. But I'm thinking as the weather cools and the chance for real sickness increases, I won't have the same confidence in my prognostication.

Still, I'm pretty happy with the situation at this point. The longer Erin remains in treatment, and the closer she gets to puberty, the larger the chance that she will begin to balk at the hassles brought by her disease. Having that break right now seems blissful. Especially, in light of the pre-teen who has peeked out at me a couple of time lately.

So, sit back. Enjoy the website. There is no medical news. Barring accident or an illness that even I could recognize, there won't be medical news until after October 2. After that, there will be a whole boatload of medical news, including CT and bone scan reports, blood counts and chemistries, an endocrinology assessment, and of course, a pronouncement on Erin's general health and welfare. I guess until then, you will have to find your worry fodder elsewhere. Or do what the pros do, put your effort into generalized, unspecified worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment