Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Three Bits of Good News

January 17, 2008

First bit: I feel well enough to post. I didn't mention last Sunday, but Walter spent last week battling a flu/upper respiratory jobber that kept him from feeling his best for the good part of a week. He graciously shared. So, I have mostly stayed home with my junky cough and my less-than-energetic, feverish body this week, making an art of elbow bumping so that I could keep my germy hands to myself. If feeling better weren't enough, I am pleased to announce that Erin has lived at Germ Central for ten days and has not yet succumbed like the older and weaker spirited adults she lives with. Can you say IVIG?

Second bit: Yesterday, out of the blue, Erin received a gift card in the mail to Toys R Us. We need to thank you. Accompanying the card was the explanation that in 2007 you had hung 575 ornaments on Erin's Giving Tree at Lunch for Life, which earned her the special treat of a sponsored trip to the toy store. All of that donated money goes to neuroblastoma research, and it was a privilege to present her with that card (although for the life of me I can't imagine a single thing available at Toys R Us that we do not already own and have in our own home. Erin assures me she can find something.). For any of you keeping track, Lunch for Life raised over a quarter of a million dollars for neuroblastoma research this year by asking people to give up their lunches.

Third bit: State team leaders from CureSearch just returned from a trip to Washington D.C. to push some more on the Conquer Childhood Cancer Act. In two days worth of visits they convinced nine more Representatives to sign on as co-sponsors of the bills, bringing the total to 185 (remember we would need 218 for a positive vote). This is by far the closest we have ever come to the bill even getting out of committee. Hopefully, when Congress re-convenes this bill will pop up on the agenda.

1 comment:

  1. Hello again,
    Thanks for the update on the Conquer Childhood Cancer Act!

    Elle and I came across this passage in our reading last night and I immediately thought of Erin. I guess it works for the act, too:

    "'Hope' is the thing with feathers -

    That perches in the soul -

    And sings the tune without the words -

    And never stops - at all -"
    -Emily Dickinson

    Just wanted to share it! Have a good day.

    Lara W.

    ReplyDelete