Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Physical Therapy

March 26, 2008

Erin's appointment with the physical therapist confirmed some thoughts Walter and I had about Erin's back. She has two places, one on either side of her spine, that appear to knot up, grab, and trigger muscle spasms (how come every time I write that word I spell it S-P-A-M-S the first time and have to go back and correct it? I also start humming "Spam, spam, spam, spam" a la Monty Python. Hmm.). I think each troubling area covers about six or seven inches vertically and a couple of inches wide--pretty much most of her middle back. Apparently, a variety of factors may contribute to these cascading events, all related to that damned divot on her back. And how wrong is it that when I heard this news from Walter, my heart got lighter, celebrating that Erin has lived with backs spasms and large muscle cramps for the last week and a half? I guess almost anything trumps tumor progression.

Now we are waiting for the physical therapist to develop a plan and run it through the channels (pediatrician, onc doc, the surgeon who created the divot). Erin is hoping for a heavy dose of hydro therapy and many massages, though I suspect the PT will opt for repetitive and perhaps painful exercises and stretches. In that event I will hope to read your ideas for affordable bribes. I think we will sit out soccer for a bit, until we can keep her from tying up every time she exerts herself.

1 comment:

  1. Oh shoot - that stinks that she is sidelined for a bit - especially after her triumphant first goal!

    I'm with you though - I'm so glad not to be reading about new tumors. Hang in there. Side effects from surgery are for the birds!

    Lara Weberling

    ReplyDelete