Pages

Monday, September 8, 2008

Still Unremarkable: T Minus Three

September 8, 2008

Despite the fact that the hospital still feels like Hotel California to me (you know. . .you can check out any time you'd like, but you can never leave), we have made it to the last day of topotecan. An hour after she finishes that infusion (probably around 4:00 this afternoon), the nurse will hang a big bag of doxorubicin and vincristin that will run continuously for forty-right hours. Then we can come home. Do the math. This likely corresponds to Houston Rush Hour on Wednesday.

We again leaned on friends to make the best of an unfortunate situation yesterday. We had a visit from church friends Kristen and Lisa Akin, Grace Kim, and Toni Sahm (for the second straight day! hurray), who selflessly skipped church (they came after Sunday school), to maximize the amount of time they could spend with Erin. Thanks ladies. Lisa, even took photos and had them waiting for me in my email box this morning. This is going to have to suffice for you Erin fans looking for pics. I have actually taken some at the hospital (don't drop your jaw), but I don't have the mechanism to get them out of my camera and on to the information superhighway when I'm working from TCH. Look for a photojournal of our stay by the weekend maybe.



Olga, Keith, and Michael came in the late afternoon to spell Walter and I for a couple of hours and give us a chance to dine out and just get away from the hum of the hospital. They can't imagine how their kindness re-energized us for the final three days.

Walter is taking the day shift today. I left the hospital about 6:30 and (fortunately) drove against traffic to make it to CS to teach this morning. I hope that Erin continues to tolerate the meds and that unremarkable remains the word of the day. I think we are in for some transfusions and other unwanted side effects as the remnant of Hurricane TVD moves through her system, so for now I prefer no surprises.

Don't forget to send your best pet stories (see below).



2 comments: