Pages

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Buckle Your Seat Belt

November 13, 2008

The game is changing again, and it looks like we're going to try to do this the hard way. Erin's scans weren't much worse than two weeks ago (probably not bad enough to kick us off the study), but there is one tumor in particular that could cause Erin some problems if it keeps growing so her doctor wants to radiate it, and Erin can't do radiation and stay on the study. So. . .we dropped out of the pemetrexed study today, and tomorrow we start back on five days of the Topless Cyclone (Topo/Cyclo), which we can do without delaying radiation.

What does this mean?

Well, the ten minute pemetrexed infusion every three weeks was appealing logistically. Still, the side effects, although difficult to separate from Erin's other illnesses and complaints last week, were pretty limiting. Erin's energy level had dwindled so far, that her life had become quite small. Her liver function numbers went through the roof, and she had a headache that wouldn't go away. Plus she now has a small tumor pushing up against one of her bronchial tubes that needs to be stopped in its tracks.

At least we know what to expect with topotecan/cyclophosophamide. The worse part will be missing school Friday, Monday, and Tuesday, but we decided to jump right in so that Erin could go on her Student Council field trip to Austin next weekend. Anyone from the Bryan/College Station area who wants to sign up to go with us for part of the trip would be especially appreciated. Erin was not really down with spending five days getting chemo, so I am going to have to work really hard to spice up the pot.

We've had a really long day, so I'll try to post more as I remember it.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like my day trip to Dallas was way better than yours to Houston. If I didn't have to go back this weekend, I'd go along for your ride. I'll be thinking about you. If Erin feels up to it, we have 2 new kitties at our house (nonblack if you can imagine) that need names: an orange boy and gray/orange tortoiseshell girl. We've always had "S" names, but I'm open to suggestions. Take care,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness -
    That's not what were hoping for for our girl! But, I'm glad you are taking the bull by the horns and getting right into radiation.

    Sounds like Mariott Points may come in handy, huh? If any Erin Fans have points to spare!!! I wish we did.

    Are you inpatient this weekend then?
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can be there Sunday, if Erin would like a visit from an old teacher and a Monster Child! Just tell me where to go. I've been here, but never in Houston before.

    Hug Erin for me, and hopefully I'll see you Sunday!

    Jennifer Steen

    ReplyDelete