Pages

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Reveal

May 31, 2009

Walter and I hit the road today as scheduled and made it to Jackson, MS (our designated rest stop for the night). For those of you outside of Texas, it may seem odd that from our house we can drive in ANY direction for at least four hours before we get to any state border crossing. Follow the compass in most directions and it would take many, many more than four hours to cross into another state (or country, if you head south). Teddy and Willie were inconsolable when we left, inconsolable that is, until our replacements arrived later in the afternoon to hand feed them steak tartar and ribs. Thanks Payton! Thanks Travis! The dogs love to be coddled.

I really have nothing to report about the drive. So far, unremarkable (in the best since of that word). The main reason I logged on was to keep my promise that I would reveal the answer to last weekend's poll. Are you feeling confident? One of you should be.

That's right, the winning, totally correct, absolutely true answer was (a) Fruit cake. The Doolin family not only owned the Frito Company, they also owned a confectionery. Mother Doolin added crushed Fritos to the usual ingredients of candied pineapple, cherries, citron, lemon peel and orange peel, peacans, and blanched almonds. The author of the manuscript speculated "she probably decided to throw in some broken Fritos to extend the batter as well as add nutrition and the flavors of corn, vegetable oil, and salt to her loaf cakes (I added the emphasis).

Final vote:

fruit cake 1 (1%)
chili corn chip pie 22 (36%)
corn dogs 3 (4%)
ice cream sundae 1 (1%)
meatloaf 34 (55%)

Don't forget the "Let's Do It" Mission Weekend *click here and scroll down) comes up next Saturday. This is for all kids who have finished grades K-6 and a parental unit of their own choice and includes swimming at the end of the day.

Also, you may not be used to me posting two days in a row, so if you missed the Ode to Luke yesterday, you should keep reading.

3 comments:

  1. Fruitcake? I would never have guessed it!

    Safe travels to you and Walter as you meet up with Davis. I hope this is a nice, enjoyable trip for you guys. You so deserve it!


    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear of the death of your daughter. Susan Still and Debbie D'Arcy have also lost children this year. I can't even begin to imagine what that feels like. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    Tammi Orrell Lansford

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are never far from my thoughts. erin has been and remains an inspiration to me.

    lots of love

    nikki from the blogathon

    ReplyDelete